DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION


OFFICE OF SECRETARY

P. O. Box 8755
Harry R. Hughes Transportation Building
Baltimore/Washington International Airport, MD 21240 - 8755

Appointed by the Governor, the Secretary of Transportation heads the Department. The Secretary chairs the Maryland Aviation Administration; the Maryland Port Commission; the Maryland Transportation Authority; and co-chairs the Maryland Greenways Commission. The Secretary also serves on the Governor's Executive Council; the Smart Growth and Neighborhood Conservation Subcabinet; the Interagency Committee on Aging Services; Asbestos Oversight Committee; the Capital Debt Affordability Committee; the Maryland Economic Development Corporation; the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority; the State Information Technology Board; the Patuxent River Commission; the Pricing and Selection Committee for Rehabilitation and Employment Programs; the Procurement Advisory Council; the Transportation Professional Services Selection Board; and the Washington Suburban Transit Commission. In addition, the Secretary is a member of the Interdepartmental Advisory Committee for Minority Affairs; and the Interagency Committee on Specialized Transportation.

Under direction of the Secretary, the Department of Transportation oversees the Maryland Transportation Authority, and five administrations: Aviation, State Highway, Mass Transit, Motor Vehicle, and Port. Advising the Secretary on transportation matters are the Board of Airport Zoning Appeals; the Board of Review; the Maryland Transportation Commission; the Transportation Professional Services Selection Board; and the State Roads Commission (Code Transportation Article, secs. 2-101 through 2-103).

PORT LAND-USE DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
Within the Maryland Port Administration, the Port Land-Use Development Office was created in 1998 (Chapter 414, Acts of 1998). It transferred to the Office of Secretary in 1999.


MARYLAND AVIATION COMMISSION

Established in 1994, the Maryland Aviation Commission oversees the Maryland Aviation Administration (Chapter 457, Acts of 1994). The Commission establishes policies for BWI Airport and approves policies and regulations for the operation of Martin State Airport and for major capital projects of the Administration.

The Commission includes nine members. Eight are named to three-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. One serves ex officio. The Secretary of Transportation serves as chair.

MARYLAND AVIATION ADMINISTRATION

P. O. Box 8766
Terminal Building, 3rd floor
BWI Airport, MD 21240 - 8766

Martin State Airport
P. O. Box 1
701 Wilson Point Road
Baltimore, MD 21220 - 0001

The Maryland Aviation Administration originated in 1929 when the State Aviation Commission was established (Chapter 318, Acts of 1929). The State Aviation Administration replaced the Commission and became a unit of the Department of Transportation in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). The Administration was renamed in 1989 as the Maryland Aviation Administration (Chapter 108, Acts of 1990). Under direction of the Maryland Aviation Commission since 1994, the Administration develops and operates airports and fosters and regulates aeronautical activity within the State.

Baltimore/Washington International (BWI) Airport, the State's major air carrier facility, is operated by the Administration. BWI started as Friendship International Airport, which began operation in 1950. From Baltimore City, the State was authorized to purchase Friendship International Airport in 1972 (Chapter 180, Acts of 1972). The Airport was renamed BWI in 1973. The Administration also supervises the operation of the Martin State Airport in Baltimore County. Martin was purchased by the State in 1975.

For safety, the Administration inspects and licenses commercial airports, air schools, and air school instructors. It fosters safety in aviation through educational seminars for pilots and mechanics, and through its publications, including a combined Maryland airports directory and aeronautical chart.

The Administration provides technical and financial assistance to airport sponsors and owners in the preparation of master plans and in improvements to facilities. Standardized runway markings are applied and maintained at airports throughout the State. In cooperation with other agencies, the Administration has prepared a Maryland Aviation System Plan (Code Transportation Article, secs. 5-101 through 5-1105).

The Executive Director is appointed by the Secretary of Transportation with the Governor's approval and Maryland Aviation Commission advice.

Under the Administration are four main offices: Airport Operations; Business Administration; Marketing and Development; and Planning and Engineering.


STATE HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION

707 North Calvert St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

Created in 1970, the State Highway Administration constructs and maintains State roads and bridges (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970; Code Transportation Article, secs. 8-101 through 8-812). Prior to 1970, State highway programs had been administered by the State Roads Commission.

The State Highway Administrator is appointed by the Secretary of Transportation with the Governor's aproval. The State Highway Administrator is the Governor's Highway Safety Representative. Under the State Highway Administration, the State Highway Safety Program is conducted by the Office of Traffic and Safety (Code Transportation Article, secs. 2-401 through 2-409).

Under the State Highway Administration are the State Roads Commission, the District Engineers, and seven offices: Administration; Chief Engineer; Communications; Equal Employment Opportunity; Finance and Information Technology; Planning and Preliminary Engineering; and Policy and Research.

DISTRICT ENGINEERS

District Engineers work to provide the traveling public with safe roads. Within their geographic areas, District Engineers administer and implement programs and policies of the State Highway Administration and Department of Transportation. They oversee bridge and road construction and maintenance; develop and manage district budgets; and recommend improvements for traffic.

The State Highway Administration has divided the State into seven engineering districts. District Engineers represent the State Highway Administration in all public matters at the district level. They also make recommendations to and coordinate their work with representatives of the Federal Highway Administration, the Department of Transportation, other State agencies, local government, and the public.

OFFICE OF CHIEF ENGINEER

707 North Calvert St., Room 404
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Office of Chief Engineer began in 1908 with the creation of the State Roads Commission. The Chief Engineer is responsible for the engineering of highways and bridges under the jurisdiction of the State Highway Administration. The Chief Engineer provides guidance to the District Engineers and monitors the whole program.

Under the Chief Engineer are eight offices: Bridge Development; Construction; Environmental Design; Highway Development; Maintenance; Materials and Technology; Real Estate; and Traffic and Safety. The Chief Engineer also is responsible for the Coordinated Highways Action Response Team.

OFFICE OF REAL ESTATE
The Office of Real Estate dates from 1930 when the Right-of-Way Department was created under the State Roads Commission. In 1997, the Office was placed under the Office of Chief Engineer.

For the construction of State Highway Administration projects in the Consolidated Transportation Program, the Office of Real Estate directs statewide acquisition of land and relocation of people and businesses. If the amicable purchase of land is not possible, the Office requests authorization from the State Roads Commission to condemn property. The Office also leases properties of the State Highway Administration, sells excess land parcels, and licenses billboards and other outdoor advertising along State highways.

OFFICE OF TRAFFIC & SAFETY
In 1991, the Office of Traffic and Safety formed. The Office operates and maintains some 3,000 electrical traffic control devices statewide, and provides maintenance assistance to the State Highway Districts for highway signs, particularly large or overhead installations. For commercial motor vehicles, the Office has multiple responsibilities. It issues permits for vehicles that exceed legal size and weight limits; formulates and monitors the State's annual Commercial Vehicle Safety Plan; and publishes the Maryland Trucker's Handbook and Maryland Trucker's Map. It also provides data analysis and technical support for the Activities Report of the Maryland Motor Carrier Program; develops, coordinates, and manages the statewide inspection and weighing of commercial vehicles; and manages the Maryland Automated Accident Reporting System. In addition, the Office analyzes and disseminates highway safety statistics, and plans, designs, and engineers solutions to traffic problems.

OFFICE OF PLANNING & PRELIMINARY ENGINEERING

Created in 1985, the Office of Planning and Preliminary Engineering directs and manages systems planning and project planning for the State Highway Administration and develops the six-year capital program of the Administration.

OFFICE OF POLICY & RESEARCH

The Office of Policy and Research started in 1994 as the Office of Highway Policy Assessment, was renamed the Office of Highway Policy and Technology Utilization in July 1998, and received its present name in March 1999. The Office seeks to ensure that Maryland derives optimal benefits from the federal highway program. Representing the State on technical issues and policy, the Office works with the Federal Highway Administration, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, and kindred groups. The Office also works with other units to analyze issues, develop policy, and recommend State and federal highway legislation.


MASS TRANSIT ADMINISTRATION

6 St. Paul St., 2nd floor
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 1614

The Mass Transit Administration originated as the Metropolitan Transit Authority in 1961 (Chapter 670, Acts of 1961). The Administration was created as part of the Department of Transportation in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). The Administration develops, constructs, and operates the Baltimore Metro subway system, the Central Light Rail Line, and the Maryland Commuter (MARC) Rail Passenger Service.

Operating and maintaining the public bus, subway and rail systems, the Mass Transit Administration is responsible for public transportation. The metropolitan area served encompasses Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City, and Baltimore County. Commuter bus service also links Howard and Harford Counties to Baltimore City, and southern Maryland to Washington, DC. The Administration also gives technical and financial assistance to develop or improve public transportation in small urban areas throughout the State (Code Transportation Article, secs. 7-101 through 7-706).

The work of the Administration is carried out by ten offices: Administrative Services; Communications; Customer Services; Engineering; Finance; Interagency Programs; Planning and Programming; Mass Transit Administration Police; Real Estate; and Transit Operations. The Administration is aided by the Mass Transit Administration Citizens Advisory Committee.

OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
In April 1988, the Office of Communications began as the Communications Department. It became the Office of Media and Public Relations in 1993, the Office of Transit Communications in 1995, and received its present name in 1998. The Office is responsible for media-press relations, transit reports, and public relations.

OFFICE OF CUSTOMER SERVICES
The Office of Customer Services is responsible for four divisions: Certification; Customer Services; Marketing; and Transit Information Services.

OFFICE OF ENGINEERING
The Office of Engineering formed as the Transit Development Division in 1983 and was renamed the Office of Engineering in 1993. The Office oversees contract administration, facilities, engineering, system equipment engineering, and construction management.

OFFICE OF FINANCE
Established in 1986, the Finance Division reorganized as the Office of Finance in 1993. The Office is responsible for the Administration's capital and operating budgets, analysis, management, accounting, auditing, and transit insurance.

OFFICE OF PLANNING & PROGRAMMING
The Office of Planning and Programming began as the Capital and Statewide Programs Department in 1984, and adopted its present name in 1993. The Office is responsible for the capital program, statewide and federal grants, legislative liaison, regional and State planning, and technical assistance.

MASS TRANSIT ADMINISTRATION POLICE
In 1972, the Mass Transit Administration Police was established. The Police ensures a safe and orderly environment within the transit system.

OFFICE OF REAL ESTATE
The Office of Real Estate was first the Office of Real Estate and Freight Services and received its present name in 1998. The Office directs the real property and freight railroad activities of the Mass Transit Administration. For commuter and transit projects, the Office acquires property and rights of way and disposes of excess property. The Office manages and leases the Administration's real property, including State-owned rights of way. Through joint State and private sector projects for economic development, it furthers the use of mass transit and renews and upgrades transit services and facilities to help revitalize older neighborhoods. The Office also manages and maintains freight-railroad rights of way that are owned by the State, administers operating agreements with shortline railroads operating on these rights of way, and promotes the role of railroads in Maryland's economic and industrial development.

OFFICE OF TRANSIT OPERATIONS
The Office of Transit Operations originated as the Transit Operations Division in 1983. The Office reorganized under its present name in 1993. The Office oversees transportation maintenance as well as planning and scheduling; and the Mass Transit Administration Police paratransit services for the Bus, Light Rail, Maryland Rail Commuter (MARC) Passenger Service, and Metro.


MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION

6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

Duties of the Motor Vehicle Administration began in 1910 when the Office of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles was established (Chapter 207, Acts of 1910). The Commissioner was authorized to issue drivers' licenses and, from 1914 to 1935, employed Motorcycle Deputies to enforce traffic laws throughout the State. The Office became the Department of Motor Vehicles in 1943 (Chapter 1007, Acts of 1943). In 1970, the Department was renamed the Motor Vehicle Administration and placed within the Department of Transportation (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970).

The Administration issues motor vehicle certificates of title and registration, and drivers' licenses. Welcome to Maryland, a pamphlet designed to aid new Maryland residents in obtaining a driver's license and vehicle registration, is available free from the Customer Service Center: 1-800-950-1682.

Under the Administration are five offices: Administrative Services; Driver and Vehicle Policies and Programs; Information Resources; Operations; and Planning and Finance (Code Transportation Article, secs. 12-101 through 12-209).

SPECIAL OPERATIONS

OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES

The Office of Administrative Services started as the Office of Administration and became the Office of Administrative Services in July 1998. The Office oversees six divisions: Customer and Media Relations; Facilities Management and Engineering; Human Resources; Procurement and Contracts; Support Services; and Training.

OFFICE OF DRIVER & VEHICLE POLICIES & PROGRAMS

CENTRAL OPERATIONS

DRIVER EDUCATION & LICENSING
Driver Education and Licensing (formerly Driver Services) is responsible for three units: Administrative Adjudication; Driver Control; and Driver Services.

OFFICE OF INFORMATION RESOURCES

The Office of Information Resources began in 1992 as the Information Systems Center. Renamed the Information Resources Division in October 1997, it received its current name in January 1998. The Office provides information technology services to the Department, federal and State agencies, and the private sector through two divisions: Business Systems Application Management; and Technical Systems Management.

OFFICE OF OPERATIONS

REGIONAL OPERATIONS
Regional Operations formed from Field Operations in 1997. It started in 1969 when the Division of Field Services was created to decentralize public services through a series of branch offices. Today, Regional Operations consists of Branch Offices, Express Offices, and the Telephone Customer Service Center of the Motor Vehicle Administration.

VEHICLE INSPECTION PROGRAMS

OFFICE OF PLANNING & FINANCE

Under the Office of Planning and Finance are seven divisions: Accounting and Financial Systems; Auditing; Financial Management; Information Technology Infrastructure; Operations Research; Planning and Programming; and Project Development.


MARYLAND PORT COMMISSION

The Maryland Port Commission was authorized in 1988 (Chapter 541, Acts of 1988). The Commission oversees the Maryland Port Administration. By devising flexible procedures, particularly for personnel and procurement, the Commission works to give the Port of Baltimore the competitive edge in maritime trade.

The Commission has seven members. Six are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. The Secretary of Transportation serves as chair (Code Transportation Article, secs. 6-201 through 6-204).

MARYLAND PORT ADMINISTRATION

World Trade Center Baltimore
401 East Pratt St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3041

In 1956, the Maryland Port Administration began as the Maryland Port Authority (Chapter 2, Acts of Special Session of 1956). The Authority became the Maryland Port Administration in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). The Administration was made part of the Department of Transportation in 1971.

The Administration works to promote and increase waterborne commerce in Maryland, particularly at the Port of Baltimore. The Administration improves facilities and strengthens the workings of the private operator. If private facilities are inadequate, the Adminstration may construct and, if necessary, operate supplementary public facilities (Code Transportation Article, secs. 6-101 through 6-502). In 1979, operation of the Port of Cambridge was placed under the control of the Administration (Chapter 280, Acts of 1979).

Four main divisions conduct the work of the Administration: Finance; Marketing; Operations; and Planning and Business Development. The Administration also operates field offices in New York, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Chicago, and is represented in London, Taiwan, Tokyo, and Hong Kong. The World Trade Center Baltimore is owned and operated by the Administration.

WORLD TRADE CENTER MARKETING & LEASING
World Trade Center Marketing and Leasing began in 1977 as the World Trade Center - Baltimore. It received its present name in 1995. This office manages the World Trade Center Baltimore. It also markets the Port of Baltimore, Baltimore City, and the State of Maryland to other countries through the World Trade Center Association, which has over 200 members in 54 nations.

FINANCE

Finance was first the Administration and Business Management Department. In 1993 the Department was renamed Administration. Fiscal responsibilities of this office started as the Finance Department which reorganized in 1993 as Financial Services. It merged in 1996 with Administration to form Administration and Finance, and reformed as Finance in 1999.

This office also directs financial affairs and management information systems of the Port Administration, including accounting, budget, procurement, and real estate leasing.

MARKETING

Through a network of regional and international offices, the Marketing Department promotes the movement of waterborne commerce through Maryland's marine terminals, thereby creating revenues and employment and improving the State's economy.

OPERATIONS

Operations started as the Operations Department. It reformed as Operational Services in 1993 and received its present name in 1997. Operations works to provide safe and efficient marine terminals for handling waterborne commerce. The terminals are located at Seagirt, Dundalk, North and South Locust Point, the Intermodal Container Transfer Facility, Clinton Street terminal, and Fairfield Automobile terminal.

MARYLAND INTERNATIONAL TERMINALS
Maryland International Terminals, a nonprofit subsidiary of the Maryland Port Administration, was created in 1990 to give the Administration a direct role in labor negotiations and in operating public port facilities.

PLANNING & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

Planning and Business Development originated in 1995. This division is responsible for Capital Planning; Governmental Affairs and Public Relations; Harbor Development; Market Planning; and Strategic Planning.


MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY

303 Authority Drive
Baltimore, MD 21222 - 2200

The Maryland Transportation Authority governs and sets policy for the State's toll roads, bridges, and tunnels (Code Transportation Article, secs. 4-201 through 4-404). The Authority was created in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970).

Four toll bridges, the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway are operated and maintained by the Transportation Authority. These facilities were constructed with proceeds from the sale of revenue bonds and from toll revenues. They are operated and maintained through tolls charged to users.

The Authority consists of the Secretary of Transportation as chair and six members appointed for three-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent (Code Transportation Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-404).

Five divisions are overseen by the Authority: Administration; Engineering; Facilities; Finance; and Strategic Development. Administrative, engineering and finance operations of the Authority center at the Francis Scott Key Bridge, Baltimore's outer harbor crossing.

DIVISION OF FACILITIES

In 1995, the Division of Facilities began as Operations. It reorganized under its present name in October 1998.

The Division oversees all bridges, tunnels, and turnpikes under the jurisdiction of the Maryland Transportation Authority, some seven facilities. Oversight involves administrative functions, and services to users. Formerly, bridges, tunnels, and turnpikes each had been administered separately. Each facility administrator is responsible for traffic control and the collection, disposition, and safeguarding of tolls. Each ensures that roads, structures, facilities, and approaches are maintained. Along the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway, the administrator also oversees the operation of service plazas, and their restaurants and service stations.

An electronic toll-collection system is available at three Division facilities: the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Initiated in 1999, the system is called M-TAG. It allows drivers to purchase in advance 50 toll trips (valid for 60 days) for $20. A driver receives a small radio frequency transponder to place on the inside of a vehicle's windshield. Equipment in the toll lanes records the transactions, and trips are automatically deducted from the customer's account. M-TAG "members only" lanes allow passage through the toll plaza without stopping, at a slow posted rate of speed.

Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and its eighteen-mile thruway opened to traffic on November 30, 1957. Designated Interstate 895, the Tunnel provides a major north-south bypass of Baltimore City.

Fort McHenry Tunnel is the world's only eight-lane underwater tunnel for vehicular traffic. It is located just south of Fort McHenry between Locust Point and Canton, crossing Baltimore's harbor under the Patapsco River. As part of Interstate 95, the Tunnel links the southern and eastern areas of Baltimore City. The Tunnel opened to traffic on November 24, 1985.

Francis Scott Key Bridge opened to traffic in March 1977 and connects Sollers Point in Baltimore County with Hawkins Point in Baltimore City. It also is the final link in the 52-mile Baltimore Beltway (Interstate 695).

William Preston Lane, Jr., Memorial Bridge, also known as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, is one of the longest over-water steel structures in the world. It spans 4.35 miles of the Chesapeake Bay between Sandy Point on the Western Shore to a point near Stevensville on the Eastern Shore. Traffic lanes between the suspension towers are 2,922 and 1/2 feet in length and 198 and 1/2 feet above the Bay. The Bridge rises to a total height of 354 feet. This span, a two-lane bridge, was opened to traffic on July 30, 1952. At the request of the General Assembly, the State Roads Commission renamed the Chesapeake Bay Toll Bridge as the William Preston Lane, Jr., Memorial Bridge in 1967 (Joint Resolution no. 21, Acts of 1967). William Preston Lane, Jr. (1892-1967), served as governor from 1947 to 1951.

In 1968, Bridge and Tunnel Revenue Bonds were issued to construct a parallel bridge across the Chesapeake Bay, a crossing of the Patapsco River (Baltimore Outer Harbor) from Hawkins Point to Sparrows Point, and a connection on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway between U.S. Route 1 and Interstate 95 near Elkridge. On June 28, 1973, the parallel Bay Bridge, with three lanes, opened to traffic. Also named the William Preston Lane, Jr., Memorial Bridge, this parallel bridge now is referred to as the westbound span, while the original bridge is the eastbound span.

Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge across the Potomac River in Charles County was opened to traffic in December 1940. It links U.S. 301 between Maryland and Virginia. Originally called the Potomac River Toll Bridge, the 1.7 mile structure was renamed in 1967 by the State Roads Commission for Harry W. Nice (1877-1941), who served as governor from 1935 to 1939.

NORTHERN REGION
Under the Northern Region are two facilities: Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge and the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway.

Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge (formerly the Susquehanna River Toll Bridge) spans the Susquehanna River from a point near Perryville, Cecil County, to a point near Havre de Grace, Harford County. Opened to traffic on August 28, 1940, the Bridge is 1.4 miles long. In 1986, the Bridge was renamed for Thomas J. Hatem (1925-1985) who represented Harford County in the House of Delegates from 1955 to 1958.

John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway (formerly Northeastern Expressway) was constructed with revenue bond proceeds authorized in 1956 (Chapter 1, Acts of the Special Session of 1956). A part of Interstate 95, this toll road opened to traffic on November 14, 1963. Its fifty miles extend from Delaware south to the northern limits of Baltimore City. Administrative offices of the Kennedy Memorial Highway are located at the Perryville Toll Plaza, where tolls for through traffic are collected.

MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY POLICE

The Maryland Transportation Authority Police originated as the Toll Facilities Police, established in 1970 as part of the Maryland Transportation Authority. The Police received its present name in 1993 (Chapter 626, Acts of 1993). The Police enforces laws and control traffic at turnpike, toll bridge and tunnel facilities; the Baltimore/Washington International Airport; and properties under the jurisdiction of the Maryland Port Administration.

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000

July 18, 2000   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives