The System is responsible for patient care, medical education, community health services, and emergency medical treatment provided by the medical systems of the University of Maryland. These systems include the University of Maryland Medical Center; the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center; the Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center; and the James Lawrence Kernan Hospital, Inc.
The University of Maryland Medical System Corporation is governed by the Board of Directors. The Board consists of between twenty-two and twenty-seven voting members appointed to five-year terms by the Governor. Ex officio, six are nonvoting members. The Board elects the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation.
The James Lawrence Kernan Hospital, Inc., serves orthopedic, plastic surgery, neurosurgery, dental and medical patients. It originated in 1895 as the Hospital for Crippled and Deformed Children and became affiliated in 1986 with the University of Maryland Medical System. In 1995, Kernan Hospital legally merged with the Montebello Rehabilitation Center (formerly under the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene).
WILLIAM DONALD SCHAEFER REHABILITATION CENTER
The William Donald Schaefer Rehabilitation Center began at Kernan Hospital in April 1996. Previously, the Center had been the Montebello Rehabilitation Center.
The Schaefer Rehabilitation Center is a 128-bed inpatient rehabilitation center. It treats patients with brain or spinal cord injuries, stroke, multiple sclerosis, other neurological disorders, and orthopedic disorders. A subacute rehabilitation unit opened in 1996.
DEATON SPECIALTY HOSPITAL & HOME
611 South Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21230
The Deaton Specialty Hospital and Home, Inc., was purchased from the Christ Lutheran Church by the University of Maryland Medical System in July 1996. In downtown Baltimore, Deaton offers long-term care for patients with a variety of injuries and illnesses.
The University of Maryland Medical Center originated in 1823 as the Baltimore Infirmary formed by the faculty of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. The Infirmary became the University of Maryland Hospital in 1897 and affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System in 1984. Often called University Hospital, it was reorganized as the University of Maryland Medical Center in 1998. The Center provides patient care, education, and research. It is a regional referral center for cardiac care, high-risk obstetrics and neonatology, oncology, neuro care, pediatrics, transplant and women's health services. In addition, the Center remains the primary teaching hospital for the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
R ADAMS COWLEY SHOCK TRAUMA CENTER
22 South Greene St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
The R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center was founded in 1961 as the clinical hub of the Maryland Institute of Emergency Medical Services Systems. Following the reorganization of the Institute in 1993, the Center continues under the management of the University of Maryland Medical System. The Center is Maryland's primary adult trauma center, specializing in head and spinal injuries.
MARLENE & STEWART GREENEBAUM CANCER CENTER
22 South Greene St., Room N9E21
Baltimore, MD 21201
The Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center was formed in 1965 as the Baltimore Cancer Research Center of the National Cancer Institute. It affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System under contractual arrangement in 1974, and was renamed the Baltimore Cancer Research program in 1978. The Program became the University of Maryland Cancer Center in 1981 and was renamed the Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center in 1996. The Center is the focus of cancer-related work within the School of Medicine of the University of Maryland at Baltimore, and the University of Maryland Medical System.
July 18, 2000
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual