UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


University of Maryland University College evolved from evening courses offered by the University of Maryland from the 1920s through World War II. In 1947, the College of Special and Continuation Studies opened to administer the off-campus evening programs. In 1959, it was renamed University College and, in 1988, made part of the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). The System, in 1997, was renamed University System of Maryland (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

Throughout Maryland and around the world, University of Maryland University College extends the resources of the University System of Maryland to over 32,000 part-time adult students. The College offers programs for the bachelor's and master's degrees, and noncredit professional development. The curriculum, class schedules, registration procedures, and student services have been designed to create an academic environment that supports and encourages the educational goals of working adults.

Day, evening and weekend classes meet at more than 30 locations in Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Virginia. For U.S. military personnel, government employees, and their families, the European and Asian divisions conduct degree programs in 32 countries at some 147 locations.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000

July 18, 2000   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives