UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, COLLEGE PARK

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


The University of Maryland, College Park, began as the Maryland State College of Agriculture in 1856 and achieved status as a land-grant college in 1865. It merged in 1920 with the Baltimore professional schools to form the University of Maryland with campuses at Baltimore (UMAB) and College Park (UMCP) (Chapter 480, Acts of 1920). The University of Maryland was designated a national sea grant college in 1983.

The College Park campus became part of the University of Maryland System when it was created in 1988 (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). In 1997, when the System was renamed the University System of Maryland, the University was styled University of Maryland, College Park (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

At the University of Maryland, College Park, instruction in almost every discipline is offered. The College Park campus holds nine colleges: Agriculture and Natural Resources; Arts and Humanities; Behavioral and Social Sciences; Computer, Mathematical and Physical Sciences; Education; Health and Human Performance; Journalism; Library and Information Services; and Life Sciences. It also includes the Schools of Architecture; Business; Engineering; and Public Affairs.

Under the College of Agriculture, the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Maryland Cooperative Extension are centered at College Park. Among many other research and public service units on campus are the Center on Aging, Institute for Applied Agriculture, Engineering Research Center, Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, Survey Research Center, Institute for Governmental Research, Transportation Technology Center, Urban Studies and Planning Program, and Water Resources Research Center.

INSTITUTE FOR GOVERNMENTAL SERVICE
The Institute for Governmental Service was established jointly in 1959 by the University of Maryland and the Maryland Municipal League. Then called the Maryland Technical Advisory Service, it focused on municipal government services. By 1965, it came to include county and State government matters. The Service was renamed the Institute for Governmental Service in 1981 to reflect this increased scope of its work.

The Institute provides technical assistance, consulting, and applied research to governments and nonprofit organizations in Maryland. Formerly under the Maryland Cooperative Extension, the Institute transferred to Research and Graduate Studies in July 1997.

COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE & NATURAL RESOURCES

1104 Symons Hall
College Park, MD 20742 - 5565

AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
1201 Symons Hall
University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD 20742

The Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1888 following passage of the federal Hatch Act in 1887. The Act made grants-in-aid available to the states for agricultural research. Now, both State and federal funds support this work, as well as research in food science, nutrition, aquaculture, rural sociology, and natural resources.

Within the University of Maryland System, the Agricultural Experiment Station was placed under the Maryland Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources in 1990. When the Institute was abolished in 1993, the Station transferred to the College of Agriculture of the University of Maryland, College Park, reuniting the College with its traditional constituent parts, the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Cooperative Extension Service.

At College Park, the Agricultural Experiment Station has laboratories for research in the animal and plant sciences, agricultural engineering, agricultural and resource economics, rural sociology, human ecology, and social sciences. Station scientists and graduate students conduct research at three University of Maryland College Park colleges, the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, and other institutions within the University System of Maryland. The Station also conducts field research at eleven off-campus sites. They are organized into four regional research and education centers: Western Maryland (Keedysville); Central Maryland (Clarksville, Ellicott City, Cherry Hill, Beltsville, Upper Marlboro); Upper Eastern Shore (Wye Mills, Chase); and Lower Eastern Shore (Salisbury, Princess Anne, Poplar Hill). These research programs work to sustain competitive and profitable agriculture in Maryland; develop technology for new and changing agriculture, aquaculture, and related industries; and develop scientific criteria and knowledge for addressing environmental and natural resource issues.

MARYLAND COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
1200 Symons Hall
University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD 20742

The Maryland Cooperative Extension of the University of Maryland was established as the Cooperative Extension Service by federal and State laws in 1914 and is supported by federal, State and county funds (Chapter 247, Acts of 1914). In 1990, the Service was placed under the Maryland Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources and, in 1993, under the College of Agriculture. Since 1995, the Service has been overseen by the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Maryland, College Park. In March 1999, it was renamed the Maryland Cooperative Extension.

The Extension informs and educates Marylanders about agricultural matters and pinpoints the needs and problems of people for further scientific research. As the statewide, out-of-the-classroom component of the University System of Maryland, the Extension is based in each county and Baltimore City. Locally, Extension agents work to improve agricultural profitability, promote economic stability, foster marine and aquaculture industries, and expand urban benefits of agricultural technology. Faculty are supported by State program specialists at the University of Maryland, College Park; the University of Maryland Eastern Shore; the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science; and four off-campus centers.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000

July 18, 2000   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives