ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS
In 1865, Towson University originated as the State Normal School (Chapter 160, Acts of 1865). Opened in Baltimore City in 1866, the School was the first and, at that time, only institution devoted exclusively to the preparation of teachers for the public schools of Maryland. The School occupied four different sites in Baltimore City before moving to its present suburban location in 1915. When the school was renamed the Maryland State Teachers College at Towson in 1935, the Bachelor of Science degree in education was established (Chapter 554, Acts of 1935). In 1946, an arts and sciences program was introduced. The College increased its offerings in the arts and sciences and became Towson State College in 1963. Two years later, it began expanding its graduate program. The College was designated as Towson State University in 1976 and became part of the University of Maryland System in 1988 (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). When the System was renamed the University System of Maryland, the University became Towson University in 1997 (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).
Towson University is a liberal arts-based university. On a campus of over 300 acres, the school lies just north of Baltimore City. The University offers over 40 majors and 60 concentrations leading to the bachelor's degree. The Graduate School offers 26 master's degree programs.
© Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives
Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000
July 18, 2000
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual