ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS
The origin of Salisbury State University dates from 1922 when the General Assembly established a commission to choose an Eastern Shore locale for a two-year teachers college. A site was selected and the institution opened as the State Normal School at Salisbury in September 1925. The School was renamed the State Teachers College at Salisbury in 1935, and Salisbury State College in 1963. It became Salisbury State University in 1988 (Chapter 366, Acts of 1988). That same year, the University became part of the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). In 1997, the System was renamed the University System of Maryland (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).
Nationally accredited, Salisbury State University is a four-year liberal arts university. It offers 29 undergraduate and 7 graduate degree programs. University courses include four-year undergraduate programs in liberal arts and sciences; and in the professional fields of business administration, education, medical technology, nursing, respiratory therapy, and social work. In addition, the University's graduate division offers master's degree programs in business administration, education, English, nursing, and psychology.
© Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives
Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000
July 18, 2000
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual