ST. MARY'S COLLEGE OF MARYLAND

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


St. Mary's College of Maryland originally was chartered under the name St. Mary's Seminary in 1840 (Chapter 190, Acts of 1839). In 1845, it was incorporated as St. Mary's Female Seminary (Chapter 257, Acts of 1845). The Seminary became St. Mary's Seminary Junior College in 1949 (Chapter 676, Acts of 1949). It reformed as St. Mary's College of Maryland, a State institution, in 1964 (Chapter 59, Acts of 1964).

In 1967, St. Mary's College of Maryland reorganized as a four-year college of liberal arts and sciences. Within the State college system, it is the only four-year institution devoted to the liberal arts. The College was designated a public honors college in 1992 (Chapter 209, Acts of 1992).

The College is governed by a board of twenty-five trustees. Upon recommendation of the Board of Trustees, the Governor appoints twenty-three members with Senate advice and consent. Twenty-two are chosen for six-year terms; one student serves a one-year term. Two serve ex officio (Code Education Article, secs. 14-201 through 14-206).

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000

July 18, 2000   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives