Historic St. Mary's City was Maryland's first settlement and for sixty-one years - until 1695 - its colonial capital. The Commission preserves, develops, and maintains Historic St. Mary's City, an outdoor museum and archeological park on the site of Maryland's original settlement. With emphasis on the 17th century, the Commission studies the history of St. Mary's City, preserves its archaeological evidence, and interprets that history for the public.
Governance and management of Historic St. Mary's City, including the care, control, and maintenance of all its property and assets are the responsibility of the Commission. The Commission may acquire historical and cultural properties necessary for the proper use and administration of Historic St. Mary's City. In addition, the Commission may accept private gifts, as well as federal, State and local government grants.
The Commission has seventeen members. Thirteen are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. Of four ex officio members, two vote and two are nonvoting members. The Commission names the Executive Director (Code Education Article, secs. 24-501 through 24-525).
July 18, 2000
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual