MARYLAND SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


The Maryland School for the Deaf was established at Frederick in 1868 (Chapter 247, Acts of 1867; Chapter 409, Acts of 1868). It is a free public residential school for deaf and hard-of-hearing children who reside in Maryland. Authorized in 1968, the Columbia campus of the Maryland School for the Deaf opened in September 1973 (Chapter 462, Acts of 1968).

At the Frederick and Columbia campuses, the School offers an academic education similar to that of public schools. In addition, it provides vocational education. The School also teaches communications skills, including speech and speech reading, signs and finger spelling, and auditory training; and the use of individual hearing aids. It offers a broad athletic and physical education program, as well as social and recreational activities. To help graduating students secure employment, vocational or technical training, or higher education, vocational rehabilitation services are available.

The Board of Trustees of the Maryland School for the Deaf governs the School. With Senate advice and consent, the Governor appoints the Board's nineteen members to six-year terms (Code Education Article, sec. 8-304).

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000

July 18, 2000   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives