DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT


OFFICE OF SECRETARY

217 East Redwood St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3316

Appointed by the Governor with Senate advice and consent, the Secretary of Business and Economic Development is chief executive officer of the Department. The Secretary sets policy, promulgates rules and regulations, and determines the strategies necessary to fulfill the Department's mandate. The Secretary is responsible for the budget of the Department, its boards, commissions, and offices. To administer the Department, the Secretary is assisted by the Deputy Secretary. The Deputy Secretary is appointed by the Secretary with the approval of the Governor.

The Secretary serves on the Governor's Executive Council; the Cabinet Council for Career and Technology Education; the Smart Growth and Neighborhood Conservation Subcabinet; the Maryland Economic Development Assistance Authority; the Maryland Economic Development Commission; the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority; the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority; and the Maryland Advisory Commission on Manufacturing Competitiveness. The Secretary also serves on the Governor's Council on Adolescent Pregnancy; the Interagency Committee on Aging Services; the Maryland Agricultural Education and Rural Development Assistance Board; the Maryland Aviation Commission; the Board of Directors, Bainbridge Development Corporation; the Maryland Commission for Celebration 2000; the Community Reinvestment Board; the Emergency Management Advisory Council; the Maryland Advisory Council for Individuals with Disabilities; the State Information Technology Board; the Interdepartmental Advisory Committee for Minority Affairs; Maryland Advisory Council for New Americans; the Governor's Interagency Council for the Nonprofit Sector; the Interagency Nutrient Reduction Oversight Committee; the Task Force on Regulatory Reform; the Board of Directors of the Maryland Technology Development Center; and the Western Maryland Economic Development Task Force.

Under the Secretary are offices for business advocacy, communications, economic policy and legislation, State technology coordination, and the Maryland Economic Development Corporation.

GOVERNOR'S OFFICE OF BUSINESS ADVOCACY

The Governor's Office of Business Advocacy began in 1993 as the Office of Regulatory and Environmental Assistance and reorganized under its present name in January 1997 within the Division of Regional Development. In 1999, it transferred to the Office of Secretary.

Created to facilitate communication between the business community and government, the Office provides a regional ombudsman service to Maryland businesses, guides them through the regulatory and permitting processes, and serves as a source of information about government for them. The Office works to enhance Maryland's business environment by reviewing proposed legislation and analyzing its impact on economic growth. By identifying any duplicative, excessive or cumbersome regulations at all levels of government, the Office removes obstacles for business.


DIVISION OF ADMINISTRATION & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

217 East Redwood St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3316

In 1987, the Division of Administration and Information Technology was created as the Division of Administration, assuming its current name in July 1999. The Division develops departmental budget proposals and projections. It also advises agencies and senior program directors of the Department on fund accounts, personnel, and purchasing.

Requests for proposals and contract awards are reviewed by the Division for compliance with State purchasing regulations. The Division also coordinates data and word processing, and operates the Department's central computer system. In addition, the Division provides mailroom services, monitors the use of departmental motor vehicles, and maintains liaison with building management.

Under the Division are four offices: Budget and Finance; General Services; Human Resources; and Information Services.


DIVISION OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

217 East Redwood St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3316

The Division of Business Development originated in 1959 when the Department of Economic Development was created to encourage businesses to locate in Maryland and to retain and expand existing enterprises (Chapter 185, Acts of 1959). These functions later devolved on the Division of Business Development. In 1995, the Division was renamed Division of Marketing and resumed its former name in 1999.

By attracting new and expanding businesses, the Division helps create jobs and improve the State's economy. The Division assists domestic and international firms in finding attractive locations in Maryland, produces market data and economic studies, and promotes international trade opportunities to Maryland firms.

Within the Division of Business Development are three offices: Advertising and Promotion; Business Services; and Marketing and Sales.

OFFICE OF ADVERTISING & PROMOTION

The Office of Advertising and Promotion began as National Trade Shows and Missions, became National Marketing in 1997, and received its present name in 1999. The Office develops marketing strategy to attract businesses to Maryland through advertising, special events, and trade shows.

OFFICE OF BUSINESS SERVICES

In 1999, the Office of Business Services was formed by combining the Office of Business and Economic Research with Business Location Assistance from the Office of Business Development.

BUSINESS & ECONOMIC RESEARCH
Business and Economic Research conducts in-depth research on business and economic development issues for the Department and other State government agencies. It also provides information for businesses seeking to locate or expand in Maryland. It analyzes savings realized in enterprise zones; compares tax structures in states; and provides information about State, property and income taxes, and regulatory costs.

The State Enterprise Zone Program is overseen by Business and Economic Research. The Program helps local governments promote economic development in their areas, or zones. To encourage businesses to locate, expand, or remain within the zone, local governments grant property tax credits. Tax credits also become incentives for businesses to create jobs. Certified new and existing businesses are eligible for local property tax credits equal to 80 percent of the additional tax assessed for improvements for five years; thereafter, smaller credits are given for an additional five years.

BUSINESS LOCATION ASSISTANCE
Business Location Assistance was created in 1991 as the Business Location Group and adopted its present name in 1997. This office helps businesses interested in Maryland and advises them on the best place to locate and on financial, technical and training resources available to them.

OFFICE OF MARKETING & SALES

The Office of Marketing and Sales began as National Business Development in 1991. Renamed the Business Development Group in 1992, it resumed its former name in 1994. It reorganized as the Office of Business Development in 1995 and assumed its present name in 1999.

Maryland as a premier business location for foreign and domestic firms is marketed by the Office. With key decision makers and business location consultants, the Office works in targeted markets and industries to recruit the fastest growing firms for relocation in the State.

Through marketing campaigns in this country and abroad, new businesses are encouraged to locate and develop in Maryland. The Office provides information to corporations about economic resources of the State, including raw materials, power and water resources, transportation facilities, markets, labor, banking and financing options, industrial sites, and incentives offered by State government.

Under the Office are the Office of International Business and four groups: Foreign Investment; Industry Sector Development; Marketing Strategies; and National Marketing.


DIVISION OF FINANCING PROGRAMS

217 East Redwood St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3316

The Division of Financing Programs is responsible for seven main programs: Community Development Block Grant for Economic Development; Community Financing Group; Day-Care Financing Programs; Investment Financing Group; Maryland Economic Development Assistance Authority; the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority; and Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority.

COMMUNITY FINANCING GROUP

The Community Financing Group started in April 1991. It consists of the Maryland Industrial and Commercial Redevelopment Fund, the Maryland Industrial Land Act Program, and the Community Development Block Grant Program.

The Maryland Industrial and Commercial Redevelopment Fund (MICRF) began in 1980. To support local commercial or industrial redevelopment efforts, the Fund administers State loans, grants, and loan guarantees to local governments. Fund money encourages private investment in industrial and commercial redevelopment projects that retain or create jobs and increase tax revenues. It may be used directly by a local jurisdiction, or passed through to a third party committed to carrying out the project (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-801 through 5-807).

The Maryland Industrial Land Act (MILA) Program started in 1972 (Chapter 360, Acts of 1972). The intent of the Program is to ensure appropriate sites for industry throughout Maryland. The Program may acquire and preserve such sites for the State in partnership with local governments (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-701 through 5-715).

Annually, from the Community Development Block Grant Program Maryland receives federal funds administered by the Department of Housing and Community Development. A portion of these funds is set aside to provide loans and grants to municipalities for economic development with an industrial or commercial focus. The set-aside amount is overseen by the Community Financing Group.

DAY-CARE FINANCING PROGRAMS

Formed in 1988, Day-Care Financing Programs administers three funds to expand quality day care in Maryland and aid day-care developers and employers. The financing funds assist small business owners.

The Day-Care Facilities Loan Guarantee Fund organized in 1983 to help small businesses providing day care (Chapter 585, Acts of 1983). The Fund guarantees up to 80 percent of loans by a bank or private lender. It is available to day-care centers for infants, toddlers, and preschool-age children, as well as elderly and medically handicapped adults. Loans can be used for building construction; renovation; working capital; and the purchase of land, equipment, and supplies (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 6-101 through 6-113).

The Child-Care Facilities Direct Loan Fund formed in 1988 (Chapter 248, Acts of 1988). Day-care providers may borrow from the Fund up to 50 percent of the cost of construction, renovation, or acquisition of real property. The Fund may not be used to finance the purchase of equipment and supplies. Neither may it be used as working capital, nor to refinance existing liens. For in-home day care, a minimum amount of $15,000 may be borrowed from the Fund (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 6-201 through 6-213).

The Child-Care Special Loan Fund began in 1992 (Chapter 50, Acts of 1992). The Fund lends child-care providers from $1,000 to $10,000 to expand or improve their facilities, meet State and local licensing requirements, and improve the quality of care (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 6-301 through 6-312).

INVESTMENT FINANCING GROUP

The Investment Financing Group organized in 1995. The Group provides for direct investment in Maryland companies through three programs: Challenge Investment; Enterprise Investment; and Maryland Venture Capital Trust.

The Challenge Investment Program may invest $50,000 as "seed money" in a technology-driven Maryland company. Matched with $50,000 from a co-investor, the Program provides a new business with $100,000 in capital. The investment is to be repaid over a ten-year period. Annually, the Program invests $500,000, making five $50,000 investments every six months.

The Enterprise Investment Fund was created in late 1993. The Fund enables the Department to make direct equity investments in "second-stage" technology-driven businesses in Maryland. Investments range from $150,000 to $500,000. The decision to invest is based on the potential return, the range of economic development, and the number of jobs that will be created. Requiring a three-to-one co-investor match, the Fund expects to make five to six investments annually.

The Maryland Venture Capital Trust also is administered by the Department through the Investment Financing Group.

MARYLAND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE AUTHORITY

The Maryland Economic Development Assistance Authority was authorized in 1999 (Chapter 301, Acts of 1999). After Departmental review, the Authority evaluates requests for loans from the Maryland Economic Development Assistance Fund, determines which to approve, and sets the terms and conditions for loans. From the Fund, loans may be used only to finance costs incurred for acquisition or construction of a building or real estate; acquisition, construction, or installation of machinery, equipment, furnishings, fixtures, leasehold improvements, site improvements; or working capital. Loans are intended for projects with a strong potential for expanding or retaining employment in the State.

The Authority consists of nine members. Seven are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor, and two serve ex officio (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-1301 through 5-1306).

MARYLAND INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT FINANCING AUTHORITY

The Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority was created in 1965 (Chapter 714, Acts of 1965). The Authority assists businesses seeking to locate or expand operations in Maryland. Financial aid is offered through four loan-financing programs: Traditional Bond; Conventional Loan; Maryland Enterprise Incentive Deposit Fund; and Maryland Seafood and Aquaculture Loan Fund.

Under the tax-exempt Traditional Bond Programs, nonprofit organizations (501(c)(3)) can finance land acquisition and the purchase of all types of buildings and equipment. The Bond Insurance Fund is used as reserves for financial assistance provided under the Bond Programs. The Bond Programs benefit companies by providing loans for a higher percentage of the costs of the facility, at a lower interest rate, and for a longer term than conventional financing.

Through the Traditional Bond Program and its Bond Insurance Fund, the Authority may insure all or any part of the payments of principal and interest under tax-exempt economic development revenue bonds issued by Maryland counties, municipalities, industrial development authorities, and other Maryland public bodies to finance a specific facility for a manufacturing company. There is a $5 million ceiling on the insurance for each transaction. Certain revenue bonds are exempt from federal and Maryland income tax (but not from real estate or personal property taxes). Therefore, interest rates on these bonds are generally lower than interest rates on conventional loans.

The Authority also may issue bonds under and in accordance with the Maryland Economic Development Revenue Bond Act.

Under its Conventional Loan Program, the Authority insures conventional loans made by financial institutions. The Authorized Purpose Insurance Fund is used as reserves for loans and other obligations insured under the Conventional Loan Program.

By the Conventional Loan Program or the Export Financing Program, the Authority may insure a loan or other obligation, or pay or insure the payment of premiums or fees for insurance, guarantees, or other credit support from a third party. Insurance provided by the Authority may not exceed the lesser of either 80 percent (or 90 percent in the case of export financing) of the sum of the principal amount of the loan or other obligations plus accrued interest thereon, or $1 million per transaction.

To participate in programs of the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority, a company must qualify generally in each of three basic categories: legal eligibility, economic impact, and creditworthiness (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-901 through 5-941; Federal Internal Revenue Code, sec. 146).

The Maryland Enterprise Incentive Deposit Fund also is administered by the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority. Started in 1989, the Fund assists eligible small businesses in fixed asset financing (Chapter 822, Acts of 1989). This financing assistance is provided through the placement of a certificate of deposit with a participating lender who agrees to make a five-year term loan to the business at a loan interest rate three percent less than the rate normally charged. Concurrently, the Fund agrees to accept an interest rate on the certificate which is three percent less than the market rate on certificates of similar maturity. This assistance may not exceed $500,000.

An eligible business is a for-profit business, employing 500 people or less, located in a county with a population of less than 200,000 and an unemployment rate of at least 130 percent of the rate for the State during the most recent four consecutive quarters.

The Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority has nine members. Seven are named to five-year terms by the Secretary of Business and Economic Development with the Governor's approval. The Secretary of Business and Economic Development, and either the State Treasurer or Comptroller of Maryland, as designated by the Governor, serve ex officio. The Authority appoints the Executive Director who serves as Secretary (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-904 through 5-913).

MARYLAND SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT FINANCING AUTHORITY

The Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority began in 1978 (Chapter 879, Acts of 1978). To provide financial assistance to socially and economically disadvantaged persons who own small businesses within the State, the Authority administers four programs: Equity Participation Investment; Government Contract Financing; Long-Term Guarantee; and Surety Bonding.

Programs of the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority are unique. A major criterion for approval of Authority guarantees and loans is the economic impact resulting from the use of available funds. This impact is measured according to the projected number of jobs retained and created, and the projected amount of tax revenue generated from the use of these funds.

Since 1994, funds under the Authority have been managed privately. In 1992, the U.S. Congress allowed states to use public funds to establish specialized small business investment companies to serve disadvantaged business owners (P.L. 102-366). Two years later, the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Administration was authorized to organize itself into a private Maryland corporation that would be such a company (Chapter 691, Acts of 1994). The Department contracted with that privatized organization to administer programs for a period of three years and has an option to renew the contract for two years.

The Authority has nine members. Seven are appointed to five-year terms by the Governor. The Secretary of Business and Economic Development and either the State Treasurer or Comptroller, as designated by the Governor, serve ex officio (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-1001 through 5-1012).

Equity Participation Investment Program. For all eligible firms, the Authority may invest up to 45 percent or $100,000 (whichever is less) of funds to start a franchise operation. The Authority also may invest up to 25 percent or $500,000 (whichever is less) of funds to acquire a profitable business. For each of these options the Authority requires the initial investment to be recovered within seven years. The Authority also may invest up to $500,000 in technology-based businesses.

Government Contract Financing Program. For eligible firms with government or public utility contracts, the Authority may guarantee a loan from a financial institution; it also may provide a direct loan for working capital and equipment. These guarantees or loans may be offered only to fulfill contracts on projects financed by federal, State or local government, or by a utility regulated by the Public Service Commission.

Long-Term Guarantee Program. For all eligible firms, the Authority may guarantee and/ or pay an interest rate subsidy on a long-term loan made by a financial institution. The loan may be used for working capital, acquisition and related installation of machinery and equipment, or needed improvements to real property owned by the applicant.

Surety Bonding Programs. For any small contractor, the Guaranty Assistance Program helps secure bonding by guaranteeing up to 90 percent of the losses that a surety company incurs in the event of a breach of contract. Total exposure may not exceed $900,000. All small businesses also are eligible for the Direct Bonding Program. Small contractors secure bonding by issuing bid, performance and payment bonds directly. Bonds issued under this program cannot exceed $250,000 each.


DIVISION OF REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT

217 East Redwood St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3316

The Division of Regional Development began in 1991 as the Division of Business Resources. It reorganized under its present name in 1995.

The Division coordinates programs and strategies that help companies and regions become even more competitive and productive. Productive relationships between the Department and public and private regional economic development organizations are formed by the Division.

Under the Division are six offices: Administration; Community Planning; In-State Business Services; Military Affairs and Federal Facilities; Regulatory Affairs and Analysis; and Work Force Coordination. The Division is aided by the Maryland Advisory Commission on Manufacturing Competitiveness.

MARYLAND INDUSTRIAL TRAINING PROGRAM
To develop new workforces and underwrite the training necessary to start and expand operations, the Maryland Industrial Training Program gives grants to businesses. It helps firms use the Maryland Job Service to determine staffing needs and recruit employees. The Program also links businesses to other State services, to resources available for productivity and training needs assessments, and to training curricula and resources for curriculum development.

OFFICE OF COMMUNITY PLANNING

In July 1999, the Office of Community Planning formed to work with local government officials and their economic development offices on strategic planning.

OFFICE OF IN-STATE BUSINESS SERVICES

The Office of In-State Business Services began as the Maryland Business Assistance Center under the Division of Business Development. In 1991, Center functions reorganized as the Office of Business Assistance under the Division of Business Resources. The Office became Business Assistance in 1993 and Office of Regional Response in 1995. In April 1998, the Office of Regional Response merged with Community Infrastructure Development to become the Office of Community Assistance. In July 1999, the Office assumed its current name.

Through five regional offices, the Office works directly with Maryland businesses. It serves as liaison to the many State programs and services designed to enhance the competitiveness of Maryland businesses. The Office also oversees the Maryland Industrial Training Program and serves as an advocate for business in dealing with government-related issues and problems. The Office is assisted by the Maryland Economic Adjustment Financing Committee, and the Partnership for Work Force Quality Advisory Board.

OFFICE OF MILITARY AFFAIRS & FEDERAL FACILITIES

Certain functions of the Office of Military Affairs and Federal Facilities started as the Office of Technology Development in January 1989. It reformed as the Technology Commercialization Program in 1993, as the Office of Federal Response and Technology Commercialization in 1995, and became the Office of Technology Support in March 1998. It received its present name in 1999.

To support technology businesses, the Office coordinates and leverages resources in the public, private and academic sectors. It also serves as liaison to federal government agencies located in Maryland. In addition, the Office provides financial support and training grants to companies affected by federal budget cuts and relocations.

The Office develops business relationships between U.S. military bases, federal laboratories, and private companies in Maryland to implement strategies for creating and retaining jobs, and redeveloping abandoned military sites. To minimize the adverse impact of closures of military bases or federal facilities, the Office helps businesses diversify to reduce their dependence on the federal government.

OFFICE OF REGULATORY AFFAIRS & ANALYSIS

The Office of Regulatory Affairs and Analysis was established in July 1999 within the Division of Regional Development. By developing policy initiatives and cooperation, the Office makes Maryland's business climate "business-friendly."


DIVISION OF TOURISM, FILM, & THE ARTS

217 East Redwood St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3316

The Division of Tourism, Film, and the Arts began in 1948 as the Department of Information under the Hall of Records Commission. The Department became an independent agency in 1949. In 1959, it reorganized as the Tourist Development and Publicity Division within the Department of Economic Development. When the Department of Economic and Community Development formed, the Division was renamed the Tourism Division in 1970, the Division of Tourist Development by 1973, and the Tourist Development Office by 1981. By 1989, the Office reorganized as part of the Division of Tourism and Promotion. It received its present name in 1996 (Chapter 321, Acts of 1996).

The Division promotes Maryland as a destination for domestic and international travelers. The Division also supports the performing, visual and creative arts and promotes Maryland as a location for film and television production.

Under the Division are the Maryland State Arts Council, the Maryland Film Office, and the Office of Tourism Development.

MARYLAND STATE ARTS COUNCIL

601 North Howard St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

In 1966, the Maryland State Arts Council originated as the Governor's Council on the Arts in Maryland, established by Executive Order. It became the Maryland State Arts Council in 1967 (Chapter 644, Acts of 1967). Formerly under the Department of Economic and Community Development, the Council joined the Department of Economic and Employment Development in 1987 (Chapter 311, Acts of 1987), and transferred to the Department of Business and Economic Development in 1995 (Chapter 120, Acts of 1995).

The Council supports the performing, visual and creative arts, including dance, drama, music, architecture, painting, sculpture, graphics, crafts, photography, design, film, television and creative writing (Code 1957, Art. 83A, sec. 4-608). Support takes the form of grants and special programs. The Council makes grants to individual artists, arts organizations, and county arts councils. To some 250 arts organizations, it also awards operating grants which support performances and exhibitions and the work of artists throughout the State. In addition, the Council conducts programs of its own: Community Arts Development Program, Artists in Education Program, Multicultural Outreach Program, and State Folklife Program. Annually, the Council receives a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts for program support.

The Council has seventeen members. Thirteen are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor in consultation with the Secretary of Business and Economic Development. Two (one a senator) are appointed by the Senate President, and two (one a delegate) are appointed by the House Speaker (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 4-601 through 4-609).

MARYLAND FILM OFFICE

The Maryland Film Office was created in 1980 as the Motion Picture and Television Development Office (Chapter 5, Acts of 1980). It joined the Department of Economic and Employment Development in 1987 (Chapter 311, Acts of 1987). After being placed under the Maryland State Arts Council in 1992, the Office reformed as a separate entity in 1994 and became part of the Department of Business and Economic Development in 1995. It was renamed the Maryland Film Office in 1997 (Chapter 49, Acts of 1997; Code 1957, Art. 83A, sec. 4-401).

For film and video production, the Office promotes Maryland's diverse locations. For feature films, and television programs and commercials, it works to provide facilities throughout the State. The Office helps with location scouting, permits, casting, film crew housing, catering, and equipment rental. It also prepares and distributes materials highlighting desirable film locations in the State.

The Office has assisted in bringing the following films to Maryland:
Major League II (David Ward, director, 1993)
Silent Fall (Bruce Beresford, director, 1993)
Serial Mom (John Waters, director, 1993)
Guarding Tess (Hugh Wilson, director, 1993)
Boys (Stacy Cochran, director, 1994)
Home for the Holidays (Jodie Foster, director, 1995)
Twelve Monkeys (Terry Gilliam, director, 1995)
Die Hard with a Vengeance (John McTiernan, director, 1995)
The Shadow Conspiracy (George Pan Cosmatos, director, 1995)
Absolute Power (Clint Eastwood, director, 1996)
G. I. Jane (Ridley Scott, director, 1996)
Washington Square (Agnieszka Holland, director, 1996)
For Richer or Poorer (Brian Spicer, director, 1997)
Species 2 (Peter Medak, director, 1997)
Beloved (Jonathan Demme, director, 1997)
Dead Man's Curve (Dan Rosen, director, 1997)
Enemy of the State (Tony Scott, director, 1997)
The Adversaries (made-for-television movie, 1998)
Runaway Bride (Gary Marshall, director, 1998)
Liberty Heights (Barry Levinson, director, 1998)
Random Hearts (Sidney Pollack, director, 1998)
The Blair Witch Project (Ed Sanchez, director, 1998)
The Replacements (Howard Deutsch, director, 1999)
Cecil B. Demented (John Waters, director, 1999)
The Corner (Roc Dutton, director, 1999)

In addition, the television series, Homicide: Life on the Streets, filmed on location in Baltimore from 1992 to 1999.

OFFICE OF TOURISM DEVELOPMENT

The Office of Tourism Development had formed as the Tourism Development Office by 1981 and reorganized within the Division of Tourism, Film, and the Arts under its present name in 1996. Tourism has an economic impact on Maryland by creating jobs, generating tax revenue, and increasing business income. In 1997, tourist spending produced an estimated $6.5 billion, generating over 94,000 jobs and $516 million in tax revenue.

To increase tourism, the Office of Tourism Development showcases Maryland's unique recreational, historical and cultural attractions. The Office promotes Maryland as a travel destination for domestic and international tourists. It publicizes major events and advises travel agents, tour operators, writers, and the Maryland travel industry about attractions, services, and facilities.

Free publications describing Maryland tourist attractions, accommodations, historic sites, State parks, camping facilities, and recreational opportunities are updated annually. These publications include Destination Maryland (travel and outdoor guide), Maryland Celebrates Calendar of Events, and an official Maryland State highway map. The Office also works with travel and outdoor writers to provide tours of Maryland, research and information, and promotional photographs.

In addition to answering mail and phone inquiries, the Office runs a visitors' center and guide service at the State House in Annapolis, and twelve highway information centers. The Office's matching funds and cooperative marketing programs strengthen and support county and regional travel promotion councils as well.

MARYLAND TOURISM DEVELOPMENT BOARD
The Maryland Tourism Development Board was authorized in 1993 (Chapter 625, Acts of 1993). The Board stimulates and promotes travel and tourism in Maryland. Subject to the approval of the Secretary of Business and Economic Development and the Maryland Economic Development Commission, the Board formulates a five-year strategic plan, an annual marketing plan, and an annual operating budget.

The Board works to protect, preserve, promote, and restore the natural, historical, scenic and cultural resources of Maryland; encourages the development of new tourism resources, products, businesses, and attractions in the State; and helps tourists travel through Maryland by ensuring the provision of signs, information aids, and other services. The Board evaluates the impact of taxes, fees, licenses, and regulations on the creation of jobs and income in the tourism industry. The Maryland Tourism Development Board Fund may be used by the Board to plan, advertise, and develop tourism and travel industries in the State.

Seventeen members constitute the Board. Eleven are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor with advice of the Secretary of Business and Economic Development and Senate advice and consent. Two senators are named by the Senate President and two delegates by the House Speaker. In addition, the Senate President and the House Speaker each appoint a member from the business community. (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 4-201 through 4-209).

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000

July 18, 2000   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives