Maryland State Seal - Great Seal of Maryland
The Great Seal of Maryland is used by the Governor and the Secretary of State to authenticate Acts of the General Assembly and for other official purposes. The Secretary of State is the official custodian of the Great Seal, and provides guidance on its use.
The first Great Seal of Maryland was sent from England shortly after settlement of the colony. Except for the period of crown rule (1692-1715) when different seals were used, the first Great Seal remained in use (though slightly altered) until the American Revolution. The State of Maryland then adopted a new seal similar in form and spirit to those of other states. One hundred years later, Maryland readopted its old seal (Joint Resolution no. 5, Acts of 1876).
Only the reverse of the Great Seal has ever been cut. The obverse, however, is still considered part of the Seal and often adorns public buildings.
© Copyright July 18, 2000 Maryland State Archives
Maryland Manual On-Line, 2000
July 18, 2000
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual